Minutes 2009 – Hot Springs, ArkansasSaturday, March 7, 2009
President of the Society, Sean McDowell called the meeting to order at 8:35 a.m.
In attendance were: Sean McDowell, Nigel Smith, Nicholas von Maltzahn, Jacob Blevins, Joan Faust, Gabriella Gruder-Poni, George Klawitter, Nicholas Moschovakis, and Timothy Raylor.
The President distributed an agenda for the meeting.
1. Previous minutes
Approval of minutes of 7 March 2008: The minutes of the March 2008 meeting (Kansas City) were approved unanimously.
2. Business arising from the minutes
3. Other business
- Status of Membership/Future Growth/Future Conferences
- Vice-President Smith noted that it had been several years since the last international Marvell conference and urged that the society seek contacts in Europe with a view to arranging such a conference, in Europe, perhaps in 2011 or 2012. It was agreed that this would be a valuable way of raising awareness, on the international stage, of the work of the society.
- Update on Marvell issue of EIRC
- President McDowell reported that the volume is in the final stages of editing, and is due to appear shortly (spring 2009).
- South Central Renaissance Conference, 2010
- SCRC will meet March 18-21 2010, in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Sessions. The Executive Secretary proposed offering an open invitation rather than specifying topics for next year’s conference. Webmaster Klawitter nonetheless urged that suggestions for possible submissions be provided on the website. The Executive Secretary will work with the President to craft a CFP.
- Workshop. A workshop on “The Definition of Love” was proposed by the Executive Secretary. Professors Faust and Raylor agreed to provide papers.
- Martz Lecture. The President will contact the Executive Committee of SCRC to confirm that we are in line for the Martz Lecture in March 2010. Various candidates were proposed and one chosen by acclamation. Upon confirmation that the lectureship is indeed ours the Executive Secretary will work with the President to extend an invitation.
4. New business
- Relations with SCRC
- Past-President von Maltzahn was congratulated on his election to the Executive Committee of SCRC.
- President McDowell will engage in discussions with the Executive Committee of SCRC concerning our representation thereon.
5. Other business
- Election of Members to Executive Committee. Gabriella Gruder-Poni was proposed and duly elected as an ex-officio member of the Executive Committee of the society, with a term expiring in 2012.
The President adjourned the meeting at 9:01 a.m.