Saturday, March 11, 2006
The meeting was called to order at 8:30 AM by Nicholas von Maltzahn, vice-president of the Society, in the absence of Gilles Sambras, president, who was unable to attend this year’s meeting. The vice-president distributed the agenda.
In attendance: Nicholas von Maltzahn, Sean McDowell, George Klawitter, Clinton Brand, Christopher Baker, Kate Ivreson, Joan Faust, Meg Lota Brown, Paul Parrish, Alan Altimont.
- Concern was raised that the Society’s membership is lagging behind present Marvell scholarship. The vice-president will work to achieve a slot at the MLA annual convention. The Society needs to be put on a more permanent footing than it presently enjoys.
- A motion was made to appoint an executive-secretary, non-rotating, to solicit papers and jury them for the annual conference. Nominations should be in the hands of the new president by April 13 for this position and will be filled by the officers by mid-May. The executive-secretary will have a four year term. Clinton Brand moved the motion. Christopher Baker seconded it. The motion passed.
- The vice-president opened discussion on a second motion to extend terms of officers to two years.
- The vice-president raised the issue of having two sessions at SCRC in future years. Clinton Brand suggested using list serves to advertise our call for papers: Ficino, Milton Society, Donne Society.
- The vice-president suggested that the Society website be augmented. Discussion was cut off for lack of time.
- Sean McDowell was nomintated to serve as vice-president for the next two years. The motion passed. (Nicholas von Maltzahn moves up automatically to a two-year term as president effective at the end of this meeting.)
The meeting adjourned at 8:55 AM.